Skip to main content

The Desolation of Smaug Score Review



The realm of Middle-Earth returns once again in musical form. And what a glorious visit it is. The incredibly talented Howard Shore has crafted yet another musical masterpiece. I was initially very hesitant to grab this soundtrack (don't mock me, guys) due to the little bit I had heard seeming rather bleak and dull. Several weeks ago, I finally decided to give it a try. Howard Shore, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

If you are at all familiar with Shore's work, you know he consistently takes thematic approaches to whatever movies he scores. In the soundtrack for An Unexpected Journey (a review will be coming for that one soon, Lord willing), he established a vast number of new themes, but many of the ones we heard predominantly were from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Here, this is absolutely not the case. Nearly every single theme we hear is a new one. The best of the lot is Smaug's theme. I could rave on about it for hours, but to put it briefly: It's incredible. Others that stand out are the theme for Laketown, the Dwarf theme, and several other character themes.

This journey to Middle-Earth feels very much unlike any of the previous ones. The music here is much darker, far more intense, and very emotional. There are moments where hope breaks through the shroud of evil, but they are far fewer than we've come to expect. However, this makes those moments far more powerful than they would be otherwise. I See Fire is a very different credits song. At first listen, I honestly was not very impressed with it. But after listening to it a large number of times, I can say that it's an excellent song. It just may take a few listens to adjust to it.

Highlights include: Flies and Spiders, Feast of Starlight, The Forest River, Kingsfoil, The Hunters, Smaug, My Armor Is Iron, I See Fire, and Beyond the Forest.

Overall, this is another incredible soundtrack from Howard Shore. I'm so tempted to rate it above what I actually can, but I guess I'll have to settle for giving it five raging dragons out of five.

You can buy it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonder Woman

Ah, Wonder Woman: the anomaly of the DC Extended Universe is the movie that most of us expected to continue the trend of mediocre or even atrocious films. We were all shocked when it became one of the best-reviewed superhero films of all time. Spoiler alert: I’m about to discuss the ending in detail. The plot is a fairly standard, straightforward origin story. It’s given more depth than usual by the fact that the film is set during World War 1. The pacing of the film’s first act is absolutely impeccable, setting up everything to follow with great efficiency. We’re given time to get to know the characters, understand their motivations, and we’re told the backstory that will play into the film later early on in a completely organic way. After Steve and Diana leave Themyscira, the plot begins to move quickly. After a bit of discussion, they decide to join the war with a small band of men. This is the point at which Diana truly comes...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Review

Ah, Peter Jackson. You sly son of a gun. Let’s hear it for him, people. He split one short book into three. Actual. Movies. And they were like three hours long each. Dang, that takes talent. If only it had worked. Yeah, that’s right. We all knew (except for me, as I was a wee lad at the mere age of thirteen or something) that there was absolutely no way this movie could live up to the hype. Congratulations, we were all right. Except for me, of course. I was wrong. That’s not to say that this movie is an atrocious wasteland of absolute filth like Batman & Robin. Compared to that movie, An Unexpected Journey is basically Return of the King or The Dark Knight. But heck, even a terrible movie like Star Trek: Nemesis could claim that honor. So, on to the review. An Unexpected Journey opens in dazzling fashion, with the infamous Smaug (does anyone know how you actually pronounce his name?) destroying Erebor. Soon enough, the dwarves arrive and the quest has begun. What is it I d...

The Hunger Games Review

Contrary to my initial opinion of it, The Hunger Games is not just another Twilight rip-off. This is, of course, a wonderful thing. It is apparent right from the start of the movie that its tone will be far darker than that of most movies based on young adult novels. This is ultimately its greatest strength. I’m not going to waste any time talking about the plot of the movie, or why it makes for a compelling story. If you don’t know it, Wikipedia can be helpful with things like that. First things first, though. The acting in this film is simply spectacular, and it would be an understatement to say that Jennifer Lawrence is apparently not an overrated actress. She perfectly captures the role of Katniss. The supporting actors certainly do a fine job in their roles, but it’s Lawrence who really steals the show here. As I said before, the film’s greatest strength is its dark atmosphere, and it isn’t afraid to kill off even major characters. This works wonders for it. In many places,...