Skip to main content

Dunkirk


























Let’s be honest. It doesn’t matter what a Christopher Nolan movie is about; if he directed it, we’re going to watch it. Dunkirk focuses on an actual historic event, a first for Nolan. He executes it beautifully. Also, this is spoiler-free.

Dunkirk, like many (or maybe all?) of Nolan’s films, places emphasis on time. In Dunkirk, three story threads are followed, each occurring over a different duration of time, but all converging in the end. This can make for a slightly confusing or even frustrating (in parts) narrative, but most of the time it’s all relatively easy to follow. I’ve thought about it for quite some time, and I’m quite certain that is done both for the sake of heightened realism and tonal consistency.

The three interweaving plot threads help greatly in keeping the story interesting, and all three’s contributions to growing intensity make for one of the most claustrophobic and uneasy films I’ve ever seen. Because of the main plot thread occurring over the span of a week, there are times when it begins to feel a bit stale, as we simply watch failed escape after failed escape with little emotional payoff until the climax. But Dunkirk’s chief objective is not to evoke emotional responses; it is to recreate an event. Where films like Saving Private Ryan soared, Dunkirk dares not even to take flight. This has been the focus of much criticism from general audiences. But perhaps we were all expecting the wrong thing when we sat down to watch Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is all about throwing you into the midst of the action; it doesn’t take time to build an emotional bond with the characters for its audience. Instead, it simply expects them from us, and this is why I can’t take much issue with the people who despise this movie. Its approach to emotion will either work for the viewer, or it won’t. There’s not much middle ground here. I personally was genuinely moved in the final moments. Despite the minimal dialogue and under-development of the characters, I felt a connection to them and longed to see them succeed. Nolan takes a decidedly non-Titanic-ish approach to the event; rather than focus on one or two characters and show the event from their perspective, he seeks to show the event from a complete, truly historic perspective. Dunkirk is about an event and people who were in it, and not about people who were in an event. Its focus is entirely on the tone of the film, and that is one of sheer terror; we just merely spend some time with the people experiencing it.

In the end, I completely understand the criticisms of Dunkirk, and at times I felt less than satisfied with the movie, but when thinking back on it, I find fewer and fewer genuine faults. It is an incredibly ambitious, non-traditional war film, and one packed with subtle emotion. It has a beating heart at its core, sometimes hidden behind the lack of character development. Its unwavering optimism is fundamentally human.

Is it a deeply problematic movie that I may look back on and hate with every fiber of my being in years to come? Possibly. But as it stands now, Dunkirk is a film unlike any other I have ever seen. I can’t conclude without mentioning Hans Zimmer’s score, if it can even be called that. As a standalone musical effort, it is absolutely horrendous and without any value, but works absolute wonders in the film. Never have I seen a score used so effectively to create an intense atmosphere. Zimmer continues to impress.


I’m going to recommend Dunkirk; even if you don’t like it, it’s important to have at least seen it. There may never be another movie like this one. As a sheer experience, it is almost without comparison. Nolan has made another straight-up masterpiece. 4.65/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wonder Woman

Ah, Wonder Woman: the anomaly of the DC Extended Universe is the movie that most of us expected to continue the trend of mediocre or even atrocious films. We were all shocked when it became one of the best-reviewed superhero films of all time. Spoiler alert: I’m about to discuss the ending in detail. The plot is a fairly standard, straightforward origin story. It’s given more depth than usual by the fact that the film is set during World War 1. The pacing of the film’s first act is absolutely impeccable, setting up everything to follow with great efficiency. We’re given time to get to know the characters, understand their motivations, and we’re told the backstory that will play into the film later early on in a completely organic way. After Steve and Diana leave Themyscira, the plot begins to move quickly. After a bit of discussion, they decide to join the war with a small band of men. This is the point at which Diana truly comes...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Review

Ah, Peter Jackson. You sly son of a gun. Let’s hear it for him, people. He split one short book into three. Actual. Movies. And they were like three hours long each. Dang, that takes talent. If only it had worked. Yeah, that’s right. We all knew (except for me, as I was a wee lad at the mere age of thirteen or something) that there was absolutely no way this movie could live up to the hype. Congratulations, we were all right. Except for me, of course. I was wrong. That’s not to say that this movie is an atrocious wasteland of absolute filth like Batman & Robin. Compared to that movie, An Unexpected Journey is basically Return of the King or The Dark Knight. But heck, even a terrible movie like Star Trek: Nemesis could claim that honor. So, on to the review. An Unexpected Journey opens in dazzling fashion, with the infamous Smaug (does anyone know how you actually pronounce his name?) destroying Erebor. Soon enough, the dwarves arrive and the quest has begun. What is it I d...

Star Wars Rebels - Season One

When The Clone Wars was cancelled a few years back after Disney bought the rights to Star Wars, people all over the world freaked the heck out, myself included. And then, to make things worse, they announced the creation of Star Wars Rebels, a show that looked mediocre at best. As I often am about these types of things, I was quite wrong. Star Wars Rebels does in fact open with a few mediocre episodes, but the spirit of the original trilogy is apparent right from the start. This includes excellent characterization, an area in which the prequels failed miserably. While several of these episodes are rather lackluster, they’re always entertaining. Contrary to what you may have heard from those who hate this show for no apparent reason, it is not strictly for children. In fact, as the season progresses, it becomes more and more mature. The show abandons its formulaic stories for a far more involving story arc. The inspiration from the original trilogy becomes far more apparent ...