Skip to main content

Arrow Season 1 Score Review



“Blake Neely? What is she?” That was basically my reaction when I read who was composing for the Arrow TV series. I repent in dust and ashes, shaving my head and clothing myself in the most sack-ish of sackcloth. This. Score. Is. Phenomenal. Some amazing scores for superhero shows have come out over the years, but this re-defines amazing. In all reality, I would have to say this is very possibly better than the scores for most superhero films. I only know of two or three that are even slightly better than this. Okay, I'm done fangirling. On to the actual review.

Neely utilizes a thematic formula for this score, which works wonderfully. There isn't a single theme on this album I can find fault with. I don't mean to sound like more of a fan and less of a critic, but there's honestly not much to criticize here. As a result, this may be a shorter review than usual. Perhaps my only criticism with this score is that the electronic instruments in some of the action tracks can start to feel a little over-done, but this is only a minor complaint. While I'm on this subject, I will mention that this score does utilize electronic instruments, but they're evenly blended with orchestral ones. Often, their combination creates excellent action tracks.

The thing I love most about this score is its tone. It's easily the darkest superhero score I've ever heard, and yet it's very possibly the most hopeful one I've ever heard. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can feel Oliver's (otherwise known as Arrow, for those of you who aren't well-educated on superheroes) humanity. One minute, the score is riveting action and the next it's gut-wrenching emotion. The concluding track, in particular, does an incredible job of summing up his character.

Overall, I'm forced to give this a perfect score of 5 out of 5 hooded vigilantes. Some highlight tracks include: Five Years, I Forgot Who I Was, Train and Hunt, The Dark Archer; It Is I Who Failed This City, I Can't Lose You Twice, Sacrifice, and, lastly, Oliver Queen Suite. The last one especially is phenomenal. If you don't buy any other tracks, buy it. Ultimately, though, every single track is excellent. I'm just picking personal favorites.


Are you still reading this review? GO BUY THE SOUNDTRACK! NOW! STOP WASTING YOUR LIFE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place is the story of a tight-knit family fighting for survival on an Earth that has been occupied by murderous aliens. A Quiet Place is the third film directed by John Krasinski, as well as the third he’s written. Despite his first two films receiving a lukewarm critical welcome, critics have lavished praise on A Quiet Place , considering it one of the best horror films in years. So, does it live up to the hype? It does. The film is ultimately a tour-de-force in the thriller genre, arriving on the scene and challenging any movie to create even half the tension it possesses. The film’s performances are all excellent. Most stunning, however, are the performances of Noah Jupe and Millicent Simmonds, who play the children in the family beautifully. They are able to capture a range of emotions rarely seen in even adult actors, and both seem to have bright futures ahead. John Krasinski and Emily Blunt have slightly more nuanced roles...

The Hunger Games Review

Contrary to my initial opinion of it, The Hunger Games is not just another Twilight rip-off. This is, of course, a wonderful thing. It is apparent right from the start of the movie that its tone will be far darker than that of most movies based on young adult novels. This is ultimately its greatest strength. I’m not going to waste any time talking about the plot of the movie, or why it makes for a compelling story. If you don’t know it, Wikipedia can be helpful with things like that. First things first, though. The acting in this film is simply spectacular, and it would be an understatement to say that Jennifer Lawrence is apparently not an overrated actress. She perfectly captures the role of Katniss. The supporting actors certainly do a fine job in their roles, but it’s Lawrence who really steals the show here. As I said before, the film’s greatest strength is its dark atmosphere, and it isn’t afraid to kill off even major characters. This works wonders for it. In many places,...

Wonder Woman

Ah, Wonder Woman: the anomaly of the DC Extended Universe is the movie that most of us expected to continue the trend of mediocre or even atrocious films. We were all shocked when it became one of the best-reviewed superhero films of all time. Spoiler alert: I’m about to discuss the ending in detail. The plot is a fairly standard, straightforward origin story. It’s given more depth than usual by the fact that the film is set during World War 1. The pacing of the film’s first act is absolutely impeccable, setting up everything to follow with great efficiency. We’re given time to get to know the characters, understand their motivations, and we’re told the backstory that will play into the film later early on in a completely organic way. After Steve and Diana leave Themyscira, the plot begins to move quickly. After a bit of discussion, they decide to join the war with a small band of men. This is the point at which Diana truly comes...